Kitchen Extension ... bricks cracking below the damp course

Reaction score
Hi,

My kitchen extension has a few bricks cracking badly and it got worse last winter.
The bricks near the door below the damp course have started to crack badly (looks like in half) but its four bricks near the kitchen door and they are not grouped together so some of the bricks in between them on the same level are fine.

The bricks are normal cheap engineering bricks (with the three holes in them) and are about 30 years old. The damage has only been in the last three years or so.

The extension is on an high part of the land and it drops about two feet three feet away in to next doors. next door is lower than our house ... so I would expect to see water if I had a burst?
The drains are fine as I have taken the concrete seal off the kitchen drain and checked the drainage and there's no issues there.

Could it be the outside tap but that's around the corner and about 12 feet away.
Could it be the roof? I have checked all the seals and gave it a fresh coat of cold roofing sealant over a year ago.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Phillip
I'm afraid it really isn't possible to answer without more information. Could you perhaps post a photo or two of the situation.

Ask a Question