Insulating Water Pipes

Reaction score
Over the polar vortex week we experienced in Ohio the water pipes in my 1959 ranch (slab) home froze. The line comes in at the garage stub wall, pipes run up the garage wall to the attic space above the garage and fan out across the attic from there to points of service. The entry garage wall pipes were insulated in the garage but not in the attic space above the garage. After the plumber was finished with the repairs I decided that it was necessary to replace the insulation in the crawl space of the garage attic. I also added insulation wrap to all the water pipes I could access.
In one area of the attic the water lines run so tight against the gas line that there is no way to apply insulation unless you wrap both pipes together. I used FrostKing pipe wrap and simply ran the wrap (winding it as though both pipes were one) along that section. Is there any issue in wrapping both of these lines together like that? Should I be using some other type of insulation method in that section? Thanks!

Reaction score
Condensation might be an issue here. If moisture becomes trapped inside the wrap due to a gap between the pipes, the lines could deteriorate. While I think this is a remote possibility, it would be worth looking at the pipe on a warmer day when you have been running the water for a while (watering the lawn etc). Pull back the insulation and take a look. If there is dampness, you will probably want to find a better solution.

Ask a Question