Installing a wider door with brick siding

Reaction score
I want to install a French door in place of my regular 32 inch door. There are however a few things I'm not sure about. I know of course I'm going to have to install a wider header and support the wider width of the opening in the brick veneer but I'm just not exactly sure how to go about it. Here's what I'm thinking: 1- rip out the old door 2 - mark and cut out the desired opening size on the inside wall 3 - support the weight of the ceiling joists from inside 4 - remove the studs and existing header board and replace with a couple jack studs and wider header board 5 - cut out the brick veneer to the desired size.
So here are my questions.
Support the ceiling joists by wedging 2x4s between them and the floor?
How should I support the extra width of the brick veneer across the top? (Right now it has 3/16" steel under it over the door which I assume is angle and not just flat)
I'm sure there are a few things I'm not thinking of so if someone with more experience would enlighten me that would be great. Also what is the best order to do it in since I'm sure getting that right would make it a lot simpler too.
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hi.
I have to assume you are in USA, if so, I can't really answer you as construction methods used in the UK are rather different, as are the regulations we have to stick to.

Also materials available differ. The products I've recommended in your other post are made in the USA.

I hope you're project is a success.

Ask a Question