Indoor wooden ladders

Reaction score
I plan to make stairs to the attic. I do not want those pull down ladders, i dont find them suitable for everyday use. The idea was to take the form of a ladder, just with normal treads and they should be flat against the wall, when not in use. I'll made them of a harder wood. The point is to be fixed with upper part and just get away when they are used. They can be fixed only for the wall, not for the ceiling. The problem is that the space is quite narrow, not more than 1.5 m. Should I put up some shock absorbers that will attract and separate staircase? I have seen lot of pictures on the internet, and have some blur ideas. Do you have any good(or any)idea?

I'm sorry if I have too many writing and spelling mistakes...

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi shonery
I really can't see how you can have a ladder fixed to the wall that can be used safely.
I know you said you don't want a pull-down, but I think you should reconsider, some are very nice to use, especially the wooden ones. I suppose it depends on what is available in Belgrade.
Don't worry about any mistakes. It really does not matter.

Reaction score
There are all kind of pull-down ladders, but we thought that solid stairs/ladders will be better, because people who lives in that house are close to 60 years...
I thought to attach them to wall with iron pole(or something like that) and attach some mechanism on top to pull ladders from the wall(or to put them back). Similar mechanism like pull-down ladders have...

Reaction score
Yes, safety is priority. Now they have ladders as you seen on pictures and that is not safe solution...
I will make hatch wider. Big problem is, that space is very narrow, so ladders cant have optimal angle...At the moment, I am not sure what to do, for now I'm collecting ideas... :)

Reaction score
Hi Shonery
i'm a new user. I apologize in advance for the mistakes of Language but i have yet to learn english well.
So, in Italy i like to build and restoring anything. I spend my free time to invent different design solution and efficent, making it unique for me.
Trough your pictures i think it is a narrow storeroom. Any way your idea is not bad, and with appropriate supports you can make it safe.
You should fix the top on iron pole perpendicular to the scale (such as the strairs of libraries) on which secure with mechanical attachment and underside to fix it with shock absorber, like you said, or just guide bracket, so you can have a fixed opening angle from the wall. Fot added security you may insert the rollaway side handrails in wood .
Now for make it a little cute, with dash of imagination, i was thinking of making it a piece of forniture fixing to the wall, between the steps, the fake shelves very thin on which to fix or paste the book, vases, candles, frame or anything you like!! but on first shelf you should fix on the wall only some frame because the first step will be as close to the wall. In this way when you will open the ladder, the shelves will remain on the wall and when you close it, it will look a piece of forniture.
What do you think of my idea? if you want ,can you correct my mistakes and send me back the text? Thank you so much.

Ask a Question