Help bought used butcher block cutting board

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help. I bought a used bb cutting board at estate sale. Can I sand it to get it clean, like really clean as long as I go with the direction of wood. Then ill oil it. Would that be right procedure? Ever time I think about just scraping or cleaning my O.C.D. Kicks in and I just can't even think of using it. I no that is silly, but I swear the older I get the more picky I get about cleanliness. Thanks so much!
Michelle

Reaction score
Hi Mymichelle
I understand your concerns, although I've been told that wooden boards and blocks are more hygienic than other materials.
Yes, sanding would be a good idea, better still if you could use a belt sander to remove 1 or 2 mm of the surface. Oil with an oil suitable for use on worktops, and all will be fine.

Reaction score
I have always heard that if you clean it with peroxide and it will not just clean it but it also sanitizes it. I am also the type of person that will buy something used and I will drive myself crazy making certain it is clean.

Ask a Question