Hawaii Home Maintenance

Reaction score
Hello guys, I've recently relocated to Maui and have just bought a house. I'm a new home owner and new to having a home near a beach. I'm concerned that there will be salt damage over time. I wanted to be a good home owner and be proactive to seek out ways to upkeep my home. I've seen recently someone in my neighborhood doing some pressure washing and am thinking maybe I can do this once or twice a year. I wanted to see if there were any more suggestions and maintenance ideas.

Reaction score
Salt spray depends on how close you are to the beach. I live in S. Florida and salty air is the least of my
issues. I live about 14 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and no salt issue here. We have more issues with high
humidity in summers and mildew. It is a constant battle to keep mildew from taking over. Now not being a sun worshiper myself, I have shade trees which only increases the mildew issue.
So it is a constant job and regular pressure cleaning along with mild bleach water on mildew growth will control things but all are only temporary. The stuff will be back in a few months. Right now my roof will need a mildew treatment to clean it up..

Good Luck with you keeping up.
Larry

Ask a Question