Garage door jerks when opening

Discussion in 'Misc DIY' started by dchou4u@hotmail.com, Jul 2, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
    opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
    fine.
    There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
    off the floor and reopens by itself.

    Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?

    Thanks
    , Jul 2, 2009
    #1
  2. A couple of things come to mind...

    1. Check is all bolts, hinges, tracks, etc., are tightened up. These
    do work loose.

    2. Check that track and chain or drive system is properly lubricated.
    Any light grease will do. Something that won't drip or run is better.
    A "white" non-migrating lubricant.

    3. Check opening/closing forces.. There are adjustments on the motor.
    Likewise for overtravel.

    I do a check for those items once a year on my garage door lift,
    FWIIW.

    If the two items above don't do the trick, then you might want to call
    in a garage door outfit. I have replaced springs, but that can be more
    than a little bit tricky.
    professorpaul, Jul 2, 2009
    #2
  3. LouB Guest

    professorpaul wrote:
    > A couple of things come to mind...
    >
    > 1. Check is all bolts, hinges, tracks, etc., are tightened up. These
    > do work loose.
    >
    > 2. Check that track and chain or drive system is properly lubricated.
    > Any light grease will do. Something that won't drip or run is better.
    > A "white" non-migrating lubricant.
    >
    > 3. Check opening/closing forces.. There are adjustments on the motor.
    > Likewise for overtravel.
    >
    > I do a check for those items once a year on my garage door lift,
    > FWIIW.
    >
    > If the two items above don't do the trick, then you might want to call
    > in a garage door outfit. I have replaced springs, but that can be more
    > than a little bit tricky.


    And dangerous!

    Lou
    LouB, Jul 2, 2009
    #3
  4. Winston Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I have a 10 year old garage door opener. When the garage door
    > opens, sometimes it jerks the door at the start, but the door opens
    > fine.
    > There are also few times when we close the door, the door will bounce
    > off the floor and reopens by itself.
    >
    > Does it sound like a bad tension in the spring, or something else?
    >
    > Thanks


    Both symptoms are common to the same cause.

    Check your opener's limit switch, would be my advise.
    Sounds like settling has caused the door to close 'earlier'
    than it had when the opener was first installed.

    You need to move the limit switch back a taste so that the
    door closes securely yet does not 'load up'.

    --Winston
    Winston, Jul 2, 2009
    #4
  5. Dennis Guest

    You mean that when the door is closing, it went further than it should
    and hit the floor too hard and thus causing it to reopen?

    How about the jerking when it opens?

    Thanks
    Dennis, Jul 2, 2009
    #5
  6. Winston Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > You mean that when the door is closing, it went further than it should
    > and hit the floor too hard and thus causing it to reopen?


    Yes. The 'down limit switch' is telling the opener that
    the door had not closed. So the opener has only one choice;
    that is to treat the garage floor as an obstruction,
    triggering the re-opening.
    Your 'down limit switch' is adjusted on the 'edge' of
    working properly.
    Sometimes it forces the door on to the garage floor,
    sometimes it sees the floor as an obstruction and re-opens.

    Does this sound familiar?

    Buildings move as they settle. Doors jam. Windows stick.
    Same thing here. You can't jack the settled side of the
    door jam back up, so you readjust the opener.

    > How about the jerking when it opens?

    Both of these symptoms are consistent with the same cause.
    (I don't know if I mentioned that.)

    Watch the opener carefully as it closes the door.
    You will see it bend a little as it stores the energy it took
    to force the door on to the garage floor. When you open the
    door, some of that energy returns in the form of a rebound.

    That is the jerk you see.

    Here is an Experiment:
    http://www.genieremotesonline.com/images/Limit_Switch_001.jpg
    Mark the position of the 'down limit switch' (with a magic
    marker) on the track. (Then photograph it with your
    digital camera.)
    Loosen the 'down limit switch' and slide it back, toward the
    opener motor a couple inches. Tighten it in this new position.
    You should see daylight under the garage door after it closes,
    but the jerk will disappear. You will find a place on the
    arm of the opener for the 'down limit switch' that will
    allow the door to close securely yet not rebound as it does
    now. Just move the switch to that position and tighten it
    in place.

    You have nothing to lose here. If the experiment doesn't work
    in this manner, you can slide the limit switch back to it's
    previous position and you are back where you were.



    --Winston
    Winston, Jul 3, 2009
    #6
  7. Winston Guest

    Dennis didn't write:

    > Wow! That worked a treat!
    > I have my 'down limit switch' adjusted properly and the door now
    > closes securely and doesn't jerk or re-open as it did before.
    > Thanks!



    You are welcome, Dennis.
    I'm happy to help out.

    --Winston
    Winston, Jul 7, 2009
    #7

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John

    Garage door opening problem

    John, Oct 13, 2004, in forum: Misc DIY
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    252
  2. PeteXX
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    265
    Doordoc
    Nov 11, 2004
  3. Seveer

    Garage Door not opening

    Seveer, Jan 8, 2005, in forum: Misc DIY
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    225
  4. sid

    Garage Door opener Jerks !

    sid, Jul 17, 2009, in forum: Misc DIY
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    2,990
    Worn Out Retread
    Jul 18, 2009
  5. Phil Scott

    OT How to preempt jerks on a job site

    Phil Scott, Feb 18, 2005, in forum: Building Construction
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    211
    Phil Scott
    Feb 27, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page