Finishing concrete basement floor

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently ripped the skanky carpeting out of our basement with the idea of just putting a finish on the concrete slab instead of other flooring. Now that I'm into it, I have a few issues:

1. The tack strips for the carpeting left holes in the concrete. I am tempted to ignore them, because I have read that patching the holes will leave spots of a different color than the floor, but I'm not sure whether it's a mistake or not to leave them be. There are dozens of holes along every wall in the basement. We are finishing the basement in a rustic loft-type of style, but not sure whether this will be too much.
  2. Is there a good way to remove the carpet mastic? I have tried a few different adhesive removers with a scraper, but with a good-sized basement it's apparent this will take roughly forever. Is sanding the right approach? If so, what kind of sander?
  3. There is plaster on the floor as well to fill some seams. Any advice on what to do with that?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ask a Question