connection to under sink spigot dishwasher hose outlet

Discussion in 'UK DIY' started by Tom, Aug 19, 2010.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Hi All,

    I've just removed my old defunct dishwasher and the connection to the
    under sink spigot was a sort of rubber push on connector secured with
    a jubilee clip. The rubber connector that is on the end of the outlet
    hose does not come off, it seems to be welded onto the old outlet
    hose.

    But my new (well second hand) dishwasher outlet hose is different as
    it has no moulded rubber bit at the end just a finished end of hard
    moulded plastic that appears to be only suitable for insertion into a
    free standing waste outlet.

    Is there a part available to connect up the new outlet hose to the
    spigot?

    Thanks, Tom
    Tom, Aug 19, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Tom

    Lee Nowell Guest

    On Aug 19, 4:37 pm, Tom <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've just removed my old defunct dishwasher and the connection to the
    > under sink spigot was a sort of rubber push on connector secured with
    > a jubilee clip. The rubber connector that is on the end of the outlet
    > hose does not come off, it seems to be welded onto the old outlet
    > hose.
    >
    > But my new (well second hand) dishwasher outlet hose is different as
    > it has no moulded rubber bit at the end just a finished end of hard
    > moulded plastic that appears to be only suitable for insertion into a
    > free standing waste outlet.
    >
    > Is there a part available to connect up the new outlet hose to the
    > spigot?
    >
    > Thanks, Tom


    Not that I know of.... Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    from the old one?
    Lee Nowell, Aug 19, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest


    > Not that I know of....  Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    > from the old one?


    That would be awkward as I'd have to part dismantle the dishwasher.

    I'm not sure why the old one came with the rubber bit on the end as I
    can't recall ever seeing a washing machine with one on.

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom, Aug 19, 2010
    #3
  4. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 19 Aug, 17:02, Tom <> wrote:
    > > Not that I know of.... Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    > > from the old one?

    >
    > That would be awkward as I'd have to part dismantle the dishwasher.


    last resort:-
    get a piece of copper or plastic 15mm pipe,
    cut the end of the old DW hose off (with the fitting you need);
    cut the end off the new DW pipe
    and using two jubilee clips,
    fix the 2 ends of the pipes onto the copper pipe..

    may need a blob of silicone on the copper to seal the pipes best
    (assuming the pipes are "corrugated")

    Cheers
    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 19, 2010
    #4
  5. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 19 Aug, 17:54, "A Plumber" <> wrote:
    > "Jim K" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 19 Aug, 17:02, Tom <> wrote:
    > >> > Not that I know of.... Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    > >> > from the old one?

    >
    > >> That would be awkward as I'd have to part dismantle the dishwasher.

    >
    > > last resort:-
    > > get a piece of copper or plastic 15mm pipe,
    > > cut the end of the old DW hose off (with the fitting you need);
    > > cut the end off the new DW pipe
    > > and using two jubilee clips,
    > > fix the 2 ends of the pipes onto the copper pipe..

    >
    > > may need a blob of silicone on the copper to seal the pipes best
    > > (assuming the pipes are "corrugated")

    >
    > > Cheers
    > > Jim K

    >
    > It is against water regs to do what you want to do, By law you need it
    > discharging into a pipe with an 32mm air break
    > so get yourself a proper washing machine trap, and fit it to that and do the
    > job properly.


    do what? join two bits of waste pipe together? boollocs!

    read *all* the thread again

    plumbers!!!!!!!!

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 19, 2010
    #5
  6. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 19 Aug, 17:31, Jim K <> wrote:
    > On 19 Aug, 17:02, Tom <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Not that I know of.... Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    > > > from the old one?

    >
    > > That would be awkward as I'd have to part dismantle the dishwasher.

    >
    > last resort:-
    > get a piece of copper or plastic 15mm pipe,
    > cut the end of the old DW hose off (with the fitting you need);
    > cut the end off the new DW pipe
    > and using two jubilee clips,
    > fix the 2 ends of the pipes onto the copper pipe..
    >
    > may need a blob of silicone on the copper to seal the pipes best
    > (assuming the pipes are "corrugated")


    OR could use one of these and a couple of jub clips to join the bits
    of the wastes:-

    http://www.screwfix.com/prods/36112

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 19, 2010
    #6
  7. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for all the replies - the Screwfix idea is great but only works
    for connecting 2 pieces of outlet hose together and won't help
    connecting the outlet hose to the spigot.

    Regardless of official requirements, direct connection to the spigot
    is how its always been done in the past under the sink (especially in
    flats) - the connection is before the waste pipe trap so I don't see
    the difference between the dishwasher being connected or the sink -
    the only possible problem would be the sink discharging back towards
    the dishwasher (recent spigots have an angle connection you can turn
    upwards), so you make sure the outlet hose goes up above the spigot
    before going down to join onto it.

    The connector I need definitely existed in the past as I've now found
    one on another sink that had the overflow connected by a similar hose
    to the dishwasher to a spigot - so I've temporarily borrowed that one
    to use for the dishwasher.... I just need to get a replacement now!

    Cheers, Tom
    Tom, Aug 19, 2010
    #7
  8. Tom

    nnk Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thanks for all the replies - the Screwfix idea is great but only works
    > for connecting 2 pieces of outlet hose together and won't help
    > connecting the outlet hose to the spigot.
    >
    > Regardless of official requirements, direct connection to the spigot
    > is how its always been done in the past under the sink (especially in
    > flats) - the connection is before the waste pipe trap so I don't see
    > the difference between the dishwasher being connected or the sink -
    > the only possible problem would be the sink discharging back towards
    > the dishwasher (recent spigots have an angle connection you can turn
    > upwards), so you make sure the outlet hose goes up above the spigot
    > before going down to join onto it.
    >
    > The connector I need definitely existed in the past as I've now found
    > one on another sink that had the overflow connected by a similar hose
    > to the dishwasher to a spigot - so I've temporarily borrowed that one
    > to use for the dishwasher.... I just need to get a replacement now!
    >
    > Cheers, Tom


    how about this from screwfix 64339 or 76974- cut existing hose to fit in
    large end with jubillee clip other end fits on spigot - well it does on
    ours -
    nnk, Aug 20, 2010
    #8
  9. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 19 Aug, 20:56, Tom <> wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies - the Screwfix idea is great but only works
    > for connecting 2 pieces of outlet hose together


    erm... yes, exactly....??

    >and won't help
    > connecting the outlet hose to the spigot.


    ?? unless you read what I put and were to cut the end of the OLD DW
    pipe and connect it to the NEW DW pipe.....
    NB I also said "last resort"....

    > Regardless of official requirements, direct connection to the spigot
    > is how its always been done in the past under the sink (especially in
    > flats) - the connection is before the waste pipe trap so I don't see
    > the difference between the dishwasher being connected or the sink -
    > the only possible problem would be the sink discharging back towards
    > the dishwasher (recent spigots have an angle connection you can turn
    > upwards), so you make sure the outlet hose goes up above the spigot
    > before going down to join onto it.


    exactly - traps with spigot connections *specifically* for washing
    machines are still on sale *everywhere* ...

    > The connector I need definitely existed in the past as I've now found
    > one on another sink that had the overflow connected by a similar hose
    > to the dishwasher to a spigot - so I've temporarily borrowed that one
    > to use for the dishwasher.... I just need to get a replacement now!


    search for it with google images - as you know what it looks like?

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 20, 2010
    #9
  10. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 20 Aug, 21:39, "A Plumber" <> wrote:
    > "Jim K" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 19 Aug, 17:54, "A Plumber" <> wrote:
    > >> "Jim K" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >>news:...

    >
    > >> > On 19 Aug, 17:02, Tom <> wrote:
    > >> >> > Not that I know of.... Can you replace the hose itself with the one
    > >> >> > from the old one?

    >
    > >> >> That would be awkward as I'd have to part dismantle the dishwasher.

    >
    > >> > last resort:-
    > >> > get a piece of copper or plastic 15mm pipe,
    > >> > cut the end of the old DW hose off (with the fitting you need);
    > >> > cut the end off the new DW pipe
    > >> > and using two jubilee clips,
    > >> > fix the 2 ends of the pipes onto the copper pipe..

    >
    > >> > may need a blob of silicone on the copper to seal the pipes best
    > >> > (assuming the pipes are "corrugated")

    >
    > >> > Cheers
    > >> > Jim K

    >
    > >> It is against water regs to do what you want to do, By law you need it
    > >> discharging into a pipe with an 32mm air break
    > >> so get yourself a proper washing machine trap, and fit it to that and do
    > >> the
    > >> job properly.

    >
    > > do what? join two bits of waste pipe together? boollocs!

    >
    > > read *all* the thread again

    >
    >
    > > Jim K

    >
    > It obviously wasn't installed to the regs then in the first place
    > so ballcocks to you too


    look forward to your link to these alleged "Regs" you're still hangin
    on.......

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 21, 2010
    #10
  11. Tom

    A.Lee Guest

    A Plumber <> wrote:

    Snip dishwasher waste pipe query.

    > Look them up your self, those were the regs when I was plumbing in the
    > severn trent area.


    I think you may be a little behind the times then.
    Dishwahers and washers are plugged straight into the type of fitting the
    OP stated.
    They are not 'open' wastes, in that the flexible from the washer plugs
    directly into the waste pipe system, which then goes to the U bend.
    I'me presuming he meand something like this:
    <http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12794/Plumbing/Wastes-and-Traps/Sink-Wash
    ing-Machine-Trap-40mm>

    Where one end of the 32mm is connected to the sink plug, the other to
    the waste pipe, with the washer plugged into the adjustable pipe on the
    side.

    As 'Jim' described, it can be fixed by joining the old and new washers
    pipes to connect under the sink.

    Alan.



    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.
    A.Lee, Aug 21, 2010
    #11
  12. A Plumber wrote:
    >
    >"Jim K" <> wrote in message


    >> look forward to your link to these alleged "Regs" you're still hangin
    >> on.......

    >
    >Look them up your self, those were the regs when I was plumbing in the
    >severn trent area.


    >Also dishwashers and washing machines normaly come with the rubber/plasatic
    >outlet in a hard u shaped plastic bit at the end
    >this is so that you can just hook it into the washing machine trap, this
    >provides the airbreak needed
    >

    So, you never came across fitting like these then?

    http://tinyurl.com/33bme5c

    Chris
    --
    Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK


    Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
    Chris J Dixon, Aug 21, 2010
    #12
  13. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 21 Aug, 17:44, "A Plumber" <> wrote:
    > "Chris J Dixon" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    >
    >
    > >A Plumber wrote:

    >
    > >>"Jim K" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >>> look forward to your link to these alleged "Regs" you're still hangin
    > >>> on.......

    >
    > >>Look them up your self, those were the regs when I was plumbing in the
    > >>severn trent area.

    >
    > >>Also dishwashers and washing machines normaly come with the
    > >>rubber/plasatic
    > >>outlet in a hard u shaped plastic bit at the end
    > >>this is so that you can just hook it into the washing machine trap, this
    > >>provides the airbreak needed

    >
    > > So, you never came across fitting like these then?

    >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/33bme5c

    >
    > > Chris
    > > --
    > > Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
    > >

    >
    > > Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

    >
    > Seen Lots of similar setups under sinks with one &half bowls etc, but 5 yrs
    > ago they wasn't
    > to water bylaws, whether they have been changed I'm not sure, but the ones I
    > mean have a 600mm stand pipe
    > I don't know how to do links, but srewfix.com sell them
    > Even though shops sell the ones you linked, it does not mean they meet local
    > water bylaws.
    > I will check up on it for my own satisfaction


    thanks for the... erm... "contribution"

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 21, 2010
    #13
  14. Tom

    Jim K Guest

    On 21 Aug, 17:44, "A Plumber" <> wrote:
    > "Chris J Dixon" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    >
    >
    > >A Plumber wrote:

    >
    > >>"Jim K" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >>> look forward to your link to these alleged "Regs" you're still hangin
    > >>> on.......

    >
    > >>Look them up your self, those were the regs when I was plumbing in the
    > >>severn trent area.

    >
    > >>Also dishwashers and washing machines normaly come with the
    > >>rubber/plasatic
    > >>outlet in a hard u shaped plastic bit at the end
    > >>this is so that you can just hook it into the washing machine trap, this
    > >>provides the airbreak needed

    >
    > > So, you never came across fitting like these then?

    >
    > >http://tinyurl.com/33bme5c

    >
    > > Chris
    > > --
    > > Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
    > >

    >
    > > Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

    >
    > Seen Lots of similar setups under sinks with one &half bowls etc, but 5 yrs
    > ago they wasn't
    > to water bylaws, whether they have been changed I'm not sure, but the ones I
    > mean have a 600mm stand pipe
    > I don't know how to do links, but srewfix.com sell them
    > Even though shops sell the ones you linked, it does not mean they meet local
    > water bylaws.
    > I will check up on it for my own satisfaction


    course, course ;>)

    I'll, save you the "hours":-

    http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/!!HUNPWM040D!!/

    "Description
    40mm Double Nozzle Washing Machine Utility P Trap

    # Adjustable inlet

    # WRAS Approved Product

    # Approved UKAS Quality Management

    # BBA approved

    # BSI Registered
    # IPHE Industrial Associate

    # Conformed to BS EN ISO9001:2000"

    Trust the "WRAS approval" won't be deficient in some way or other?

    Jim K
    Jim K, Aug 21, 2010
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Part timer
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    332
    Part timer
    Dec 19, 2007
  2. despondent

    Best Way to Get Stuck Hose off Spigot?

    despondent, Jan 2, 2004, in forum: Home Repair
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    537
    despondent
    Feb 9, 2004
  3. Terry

    Dishwasher hot water hose connection?

    Terry, Dec 30, 2005, in forum: Home Repair
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    183
  4. Joy
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    313
    Grandpa
    Jun 2, 2007
  5. Replies:
    5
    Views:
    958
Loading...

Share This Page