Connecting solar power into the grid

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has any experience with this elsewhere. Where I am, our electricity provider makes this next to impossible and yet there are devices designed for this purpose and it is being done elsewhere in the world. I wonder if anyone out there has any knowledge of the requirements in your area. At the moment connecting into the grid is more costly than going fully independent.

Reaction score
Hi Lostvalleyguy
I've not had a lot of experience of solar systems, and quite honestly, I'm not impressed with whole idea. In this country it normally involves panels on the roof, an inverter in the loft, and a feed-in meter connected to the supply.
As I see it, all well and good all the time the supply authority are prepared to pay for power supplied at times in the day when they don't need it. The components are very expensive, and what is their life ? Also what happens if you need a roof repair ? Yes, we do need better energy sources, but not this one.
Sorry, to all who may think it's wonderful, It's just my personal opinion.

Reaction score
It is the feed-in meter I was curious about. Our electricity company refuses to allow this device to be installed. My experience with solar power stems from having a cabin that is off grid where solar is a practical and effective energy supply. I agree that solar isn't an ideal solution, but in a place like California where the demand peaks in the summer during the day for air conditioning, solar panels could alleviate some of the costly electricity they import.

Ask a Question