Condenser Fan Motor

Reaction score
I'm not having the best of luck this week! I was hearing a humming through the air ducts and went outside to hear the ac unit making a ridiculously loud noise. I turned it off and spun the motor blades slowly and it vibrated and shook the unit. The old motor shaft moves in and out quite a bit compared to the new one. Replaced motor and capacitor. Now, it comes on, the loud noise isn't there but the blades are turning slower and sounds almost like a metal to metal scraping sound. It doesn't look like it is hitting on anything. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Just a guess , but you may have wired the motor & capacitor incorrectly . Does the new fan motor use the same value of capacitor as the old one ?

Did the old set up use a dual capacitor , serving both the fan motor & the compressor ( 3 terminals ) .

You did take digital photos before & after messing with the wiring ? You did label all the wires you messed with and take good notes ?

So , is the fan rubbing anything , or not .

Is the fan motor a direct replacement for the original motor . Or a Universal Fit motor ? Is the fan turning the correct direction ?

Is the compressor operating OK ?

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question