Cold Outside Walls

Reaction score
I have had a few condensation issues in the past with my exterior bedroom wall which is cold all the time.

I have a cavity wall but no cavity wall insulation as the companies that do this stated my home was unsuitable as there are bits of rubble in the cavity.

I am in the process of redecorating and thought this would time to address this problem hence I have been thinking of dry lining it with some insulation.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be most effective? Can I apply plasterboard straight onto the wall without hacking off the previous plaster as this doing that would be too messy? Would I use foil backed insulated plasterboard for this or is foil not acceptable as it would not allow the wall to breathe? Would it be better to apply battens onto the wall and plasterboard on top with insulation rolls in between?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Reaction score
Try reading this:-

Insulation Facts
1. When calculating the heatloss through insulation the Density of the insulation is as important as the U-value. The best insulating materials have a good Uvalue
and density like Softboard, Cellulose, Poroton and heavy Rockwool.
2. When Cold wind blows directly onto insulation the Cold jumps through lightweight insulation a lot quicker than Dense insulation reducing the U-value and
the effect of the insulation. This is called the "Wind Chill" factor.
3. When Swedish builders put 3 x 10cm layers of insulation in an attic floor they always put a layer of building paper between each layer of insulation. This
improves the effect of the insulation by 60% because it stabilises the trapped insulating air in the insulation and stops the wind blowing it away.
4. Lightweight insulation like the stuff insulating most caravans allows the caravan to heat up like an oven an hour after the sun comes out, this is known as the
"Caravan Effect". Dense insulation like the stuff around your dishwasher holds in heat for up to 12 hours.
5. If the moisture level in your insulation increases by 10% the U-value is reduced by 30%, so natural hydroscopic insulation that can dry itself out like Cellulose,
Sheepswool, Hemp etc,. works much better in the long-term by allowing your timbers to breath/sweat and by maintaining the U-value of the insulation.
6. A lot of air that should be trapped in your insulation is blown out by external wind so it's important to put a windtight layer of dense breathable insulation
outside the soft insulation to maintain the U-value of your insulation.
7. Polyeurethene Insulation (the yellow stuff with the foil on both sides) is not suitable for use under concrete floors because it loses its U-value when it gets
wet. When you put plastic on both sides of this insulation to prevent it getting wet you trap condensation between the plastic layers making and keeping the
insulation wet. In the middle of every floor and wall you have a "Dew Point" or Condensation point and you are not suppose to put plastic foil on the Cold side
of insulation because it traps moisture. If you leave out the top layer of plastic, which is often the case, the Aluminium foil dissapears due to a chemical
reaction between the foil and the cement allowing water into the insulation which messes up the U-value. Better to use water proof Polysterene for your
foundations.
8. The effect of rigid insulation sheets in a cavity wall is reduced by between 35% and 197% due to "Thermal Looping" which is the unavoidable airflow between
the insulation and the wall. With a 5mm airgap the U-value is reduced by 35% and with a 10mm gap the U-value is reduced by 197%. Concrete blocks are
made to a tolerance of + or - 2mm so 2 blocks beside each other in a wall can have a 4mm thickness differential. In most walls we see snots of mortar
between the blocks keeping the insulation even further away from the inner wall, mortar also falls onto the insulation preventing a tight fit between insulation
sheets.
9. 35% of the heatloss from your house is from leakage so Airtightness goes hand and hand with a good insulation job. To achieve good airtightness use a
vapour barrier on the warm side of your insulation. OSB board with the joints taped can also be used on the warm side of your insulation as a Vapour barrier
and as an Airtightness layer. This prevents warm air from escaping and keeps your insulation dry.
10. 25% of the fabric heatloss from a standard house is lost through "Cold Bridging". These are the uninsulated areas of your house and are mainly around
wall/floor junctions, wall/roof junctions and around windows and doors. So "Cold Bridge" elimination is an important exercise when building or renovating
your house.
11. Using non breathable rigid sheet insulation in a roof or in a timber frame house is not a good idea because of the 50% rule in Germany which states that
structural timbers may not be covered by more than 50% with non breathable materials. In such a structure the only escape route for moisture is through the
timbers which quickly become saturated leading to rot. A breathable roof using a combination of Cellulose and Softboard allows the complete roof to breathe
and sweat leading to healthy roof timbers and a roof with a long life. Lightweight insulation materials are anyhow not suitable for roofs because of the
"Caravan Effect" explained above.
12. The Finnish guy who patented Insulated Concrete Forms over 40 years ago designed a series of air channels in the inside layer of the insulation to help
overcome the problem he discovered with fungus/mould growth in the walls when unavoidable water vapour gets into the insulation. The systems that are
being erected now in Ireland do not have these air channels in place so the risk of fungus and mould growth in this construction method is quite high. When
you put a Tupperware box into your fridge water starts flowing down the inside of the box!
13. An uninsulated wall usually has the Dew Point at the centre and the inner wall face is warmer than the external face. If you dryline you move the Dew Point to
where the insulation and the wall meet and the wall now becomes a cold wall. With the new Airtightness regulations there will now be less airchanges so
the air is your house will have higher water vapour levels. The joints between insulation backed plasterboard are never sealed and with high air pressure
inside the house, water vapour will get in behind the insulated plasterboards and condense on the Cold Wall causing fungus and mould growth. The only
way to avoid this is to leave an airflow between the insulation and the drylining. This means that the combination of a partial fill cavity wall with drylining isn't
Home PH Construction Methods Projects Passiv e Slab FiWi HRV External Insulation Passiv e Solar Solar Slab
Studies Passiv e House Blog Downloads Dewpoint Calculator Contact/Serv ices
3/28/2011 Insulation Facts
viking-house.co.uk/insulation-facts.html 1/2
Timber Frame House | External Wall Insulation | Passive House Foundations
possible as the ventilated cavity behind the drylining messes up the U-values. External Insulation moves the Dew Point to the outside which is much safer.
14. Durability: Natural fibres are on the whole much stronger than glass and rock fibres. Much conventional fibre insulation collapses and degrades over a few
years (note the loft insulation which is now a damp blob). If buildings are to last over 100 years then we need insulation to last at least as long, particularly in
areas where it is difficult to replace or renew. Natural fibres are known to last this long in the correct environments. As regards gas blown insulations, there
remains a significant question as to whether these gases will remain for the life of the building. In many peoples opinion only air based insulation is
guaranteed. And as regards multi-foil insulation, there are major concerns about the claims made by the manufacturers.
15. Thermal performance with moisture: Natural fibres absorb and desorb moisture hygroscopically, unlike synthetic fibres. Far from reducing their overall
thermal resistance this has been shown to improve performance in comparison with conventional materials. In one study comparing flax insulation with
mineral wool insulation with a similar designed thermal performance over a bathroom, the thermal res istance of the flax insulation fluctuated more than the
mineral wool, but overall had about 10% better resistance.
16. Specific heat capacity : Most natural fibres have a specific heat capacity of about 2000J/kgK, compared with 800J/kgK for mineral wool, and 1400J/kgK for
plastic insulations. When combined with the higher density of most natural insulations this means that the thermal mass of natural insulations is
considerably higher than conventional insulations for the same thermal resistance. This means that they give far better thermal storage and overheating
protection both of which are increasingly important in energy efficiency strategies, particularly in light weight structures.
17. Acoustics: The multi-functionality of natural insulation products extends also to their acoustic performance, which again is far superior to synthetic fibres and
plastic insulants, thus making them highly cost effective in designs where thermal resistance, overheating control and acoustic insulation are all required.
Add in their breathable qualities and the products become cheap.
3/28/2011 Insulation Facts
viking-house.co.uk/insulation-facts.html 2/2

It might not be all the answers, but at least you are now better informed...bosshogg :)

Reaction score
Insulated boards are proving to be very expensive!!!!

I am thinking about using celotex ga4000 insulation boards instead.

Basically...

50mm insulation boards(included is a vapour control barrier) on the wall held together by treated battens and then plasterboard on top, as per instructions. Does anyone know what the difference is between that and battening the walls first and then putting the insulation boards on top and then plasterboards?

Does anyone know if this is ok with my walls i.e. cavity walls and straight on to plaster?

Reaction score
One thing not mentioned, which could provide an answer, is air bricks. Can you fit ventilating air bricks into the external wall leaf? this would provide the cavity with ventilation.Also try painting the wall with a waterproofing agent, to suppress the ingress of moisture. You see the bits of rubble (I presume they put a flex shaft camera into the cavity to ascertain their existence) act as wicks across the cavity, in a sense, transferring moisture from the external skin to the internal skin. Blocking this effects a solution...bosshogg:)

Reaction score
Insualted boarding is the cheapest alternative., Make sure that you have no gaps around your doors as this is where major heat loss can occur.

Reaction score
The insulated plasterboards are now up and skimmed, ended up using insulated plasterboard directly onto wall using dot and dab.

One final question, would it be an issue if I used vinyl wallpaper to decorate this wall or do I need to use to breathable paper/ paint? I ask this as there is a vapour barrier that has been created using the insulated plasterboards.

Reaction score
The insulated plasterboards are now up and skimmed, ended up using insulated plasterboard directly onto wall using dot and dab.

One final question, would it be an issue if I used vinyl wallpaper to decorate this wall or do I need to use to breathable paper/ paint? I ask this as there is a vapour barrier that has been created using the insulated plasterboards.
Gypsum plaster isn't breathable.

Reaction score
i think you should calculate your heat losses, the thickness of your wall and look for the suitable insulation and the thickness of it according to your calculations

Ask a Question