Central A/C problem

Reaction score
I've got a Goodman CLJ48-1 central A/C system, installed October 2001. I had to replace the contactor about three years ago. Now the system will not activate the compressor or the fan in the external unit. I have replaced the starter capacitor with the correct replacement value, with no change. The only other device I can see in the primary wiring is a small cylindrical device wired from the load side of one leg of the 220V line. Is this another capacitor? I've tried to find schematics for this unit online, without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm retired and live in Texas, so A/C is pretty much demanded.

Thanks in advance....

Reaction score
The outside unit / condenser unit usually has a capacitor for the compressor and one for the condenser fan .

Do you have a volt / ohm meter ?

God bless
Wyr

Reaction score
With the Tstat capping for cool , check to see if you are getting 24vac to the condenser unit .

heck to see if the contactor is closing / pulling in .

Look for high and low pressure safeties that may be killing the condenser unit .

God bless
Wyr

Ask a Question