Building an extension

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking into having an extension built on the back of my house. I have yet to instruct an architect/planner yet. I realise that is the first thing on my list of things to do. I hope to build out 6m.

I have a few questions to ask of everyone.

1) Brick or block? My house is not rendered so I am heavily leaning towards a brick built extension. Is either better regarding insulation?

2) Flat or Pitched roof? Which is a better choice? I've been told that if I have a pitched roof it can work out a lot more expensive. Is this true? One person has told me that if I have a pitched roof I will need timber which has to be at least 7m long. Someone else has told me that I can 'split' the pitched roof in two (so to speak) with a 'joist' in the middle. This way it will not work out as expensive

3) Mr Bricky. Although I'm not a bricklayer by trade I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience using this tool. Is it any good. They make it look so simple. Too simple in fact. I might buy it and try it elsewhere first. Again, any advice would be good.

Adrian

Reaction score
Hi
Without any more info, I can only generalize. Any extension will only be at it's best if it follows the construction of the original building. Existing bricks can often be matched, and the roof should, if possible follow the existing. A pitched roof can be any size, just look as the local Tesco store !
You really need to discuss all your points with your architect, and get some sort of estimated costs.
Your last point, Bricky tool, don't go there, it might at a push be helpful to build a brick BBQ, but if you're thinking of Building an extension yourself, all I can suggest is taking a course in the subject. It's not that easy !

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. I want to try and do as much of the work as possible myself.

I tried finding bricklaying courses but the only courses I could find were full time courses which does not suite me because of my work commitments. Not only were they full time but they were also 30+ weeks long!!!

Stupid question for you regarding the Mr Bricky............what's the difference in build quality between a BBQ and an extension. Surely (without sounding too thick) it is the same quality of work no matter what is being built. Either it works or doesn't work?!?!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was trying to be diplomatic - a BBQ doesn't matter very much, your very expensive extension does !
I think you'll find that with most building work, the basic structure is usually the quickest part of the job. A couple of bricklayers would be able to erect the walls in no time. It's the internal work and the finishing that takes time, and expense. You may find that you would be better off doing as much of that as possible yourself.

Reaction score
id advice brick since you don't want to render it, insulation wise i think they;re the same. Also having a pitched roof can raise the cost of your construction but it also provides insulation for your upper floor

Ask a Question