Best drill bits for stainless steel

Reaction score
I am looking for good quality drill bits for stainless steel.
I have done some internet searches and TTP HARD drill bits feature a lot and have some great reviews. They are a bit expensive but I don't mind paying if they are quality bits - anyone have any experience of them ??

Reaction score
I have always used normal high speed steel bits with no problems. The key is to use slow speeds, cutting oil, and the most important thing is to not get the material you are drilling hot. If you do it will be very hard to drill through. Stainless will work harden if it gets to hot.

Reaction score
Great thanks for the advice, worked a treat, kept the speed slow and used plenty of cutting paste.

Reaction score
That's great Drill Bit! You are very welcome, Glad you got it drilled. Stainless is actually a soft metal but can be a bitch if its overheated.

Reaction score
im a kitchen fitter - stainless steel can be drilled easily, right choice of drill bit, drill speed and a coolant, choice of drill i use cobalt drill bits everytime and having tried everything from the good , the bad , and the ugly! i use TTP hard drills (marginally more expensive but hey they are good) i bought a full set and their cutting / cooling paste. I prefer paste as its easy to apply at all angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi mpepi
I agree on the cutting paste, I had cutting oil in an aerosol and it was hard to direct it to just where I needed it, I bought the cutting paste form TTP and it worked a treat as you can dip the drill bit into the tub and it works where you need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question