Baxi Solo 3 PF

Discussion in 'UK DIY' started by Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 5, 2004.

  1. I have a 17 month old Baxi solo 3 boiler which started throwing fuses
    yesterday. Initially when I realised the heating had gone off I found a
    circuit breaker in the CU had tripped, reset this and all was OK. Next day
    the same thing happened but once the circuit was reset this time only the
    'Boiler On' light on the control panel illuminated, no 'Fan On' light and no
    Pilot or Burner lights.

    I located the installation manual and identified the circuit board fuse,
    this had blown so I replaced it with the spare and once again all worked
    normally for an hour or until this time the 3A fuse on the isolation switch
    blew (Baxi state this should be 5A?). Once again replacing this worked for
    about 20 mins until it blew both the isolation switch 3A and the circuit
    board fuse.

    Any ideas what may be causing this and where can I source a replacement fuse
    for the circuit board which is marked F4AH250V?

    TIA
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 5, 2004
    #1
  2. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Set Square Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld <> wrote:

    > I have a 17 month old Baxi solo 3 boiler which started throwing fuses
    > yesterday. Initially when I realised the heating had gone off I
    > found a circuit breaker in the CU had tripped, reset this and all was
    > OK. Next day the same thing happened but once the circuit was reset
    > this time only the 'Boiler On' light on the control panel
    > illuminated, no 'Fan On' light and no Pilot or Burner lights.
    >
    > I located the installation manual and identified the circuit board
    > fuse, this had blown so I replaced it with the spare and once again
    > all worked normally for an hour or until this time the 3A fuse on the
    > isolation switch blew (Baxi state this should be 5A?). Once again
    > replacing this worked for about 20 mins until it blew both the
    > isolation switch 3A and the circuit board fuse.
    >
    > Any ideas what may be causing this and where can I source a
    > replacement fuse for the circuit board which is marked F4AH250V?
    >
    > TIA


    You can probably get fuses from the likes of Maplin or RS Components - but
    you clearly need to find and fix the root cause - otherwise fuses will just
    keep blowing.

    Hopefully those (like Geoff) with a detailed knowledge of this boiler will
    respond - but it sounds to me like a problem either with the PCB or gas
    valve - or possibly the fan.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square
    ______
    Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is Black Hole!
    Set Square, May 5, 2004
    #2
  3. geoff wrote:
    > The fuse is telling you that you have a problem (looks like the fan).
    > Until you solve the problem, you'll keep on blowing fuses
    >
    > The fuse is a 4A fast blow
    >
    > look at my site www.cetltd.com


    Thanks Geoff, is there an easy way of confirming that this is the cause? If
    I can be ceratin it is then I can contact you regarding a recon replacement.

    --
    Darren
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 6, 2004
    #3
  4. geoff wrote:
    > It sounds to me that the fan is short circuit
    > i.e. knacked
    > The fuse is telling you that you have a problem (looks like the fan).
    > Until you solve the problem, you'll keep on blowing fuses
    > The fuse is a 4A fast blow
    > look at my site www.cetltd.com


    Geoff, even with the fan unit unplugged the system blows the fuse in the
    isolation switch?, with the thermostat set to OFF I switch the isolator ON
    and a fter a few seconds the boiler ON light illuminates and the fuse blows.
    --
    Darren
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 6, 2004
    #4
  5. geoff wrote:
    > Do you have a wire trapped somewhere?
    >
    > Is there water damage on the board?
    >
    > What happens if you disconnect the pump?


    No obvious signs of damage on the PCB, no arcing, burns or any water damage
    ceratinly. If I disconnect the Pump supply from the PCB (fan is now
    reconnected) I no longer get any blown fuses, Boiler ON light illuminates
    but I have left the thermostat OFF.

    Appreciate your help here, I assume this means the fault points towards the
    pump and I should be looking in the airing cupboard now?

    --
    Darren Griffin
    Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
    The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Set Square Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld <> wrote:

    > geoff wrote:
    >> Do you have a wire trapped somewhere?
    >>
    >> Is there water damage on the board?
    >>
    >> What happens if you disconnect the pump?

    >
    > No obvious signs of damage on the PCB, no arcing, burns or any water
    > damage ceratinly. If I disconnect the Pump supply from the PCB (fan
    > is now reconnected) I no longer get any blown fuses, Boiler ON light
    > illuminates but I have left the thermostat OFF.
    >
    > Appreciate your help here, I assume this means the fault points
    > towards the pump and I should be looking in the airing cupboard now?


    Probably. You could bottom this out by disconnecting the pump from its
    current supply (junction box, or whatever) and putting a 13amp plug with 3
    amp fuse on the end of its lead. Plug this into a 13amp socket (with the
    help of an extension lead if necessary) and see what happens. If the fuse
    blows, it's pretty conclusive.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square
    ______
    Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is Black Hole!
    Set Square, May 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Set Square wrote:
    > Probably. You could bottom this out by disconnecting the pump from its
    > current supply (junction box, or whatever) and putting a 13amp plug
    > with 3 amp fuse on the end of its lead. Plug this into a 13amp socket
    > (with the help of an extension lead if necessary) and see what
    > happens. If the fuse blows, it's pretty conclusive.


    I'm about to give up on fixing this and call a pro, the only problem is, is
    this an electrician's job or a heating engineer? I'm not rolling in cash
    and would like to get this fixed in one hit, I don't fancy paying for a
    hetaing engineer only for him to say it needs an electrician after I have
    forked out for his call out fee :(
    --
    Darren
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 7, 2004
    #7
  8. geoff wrote:
    > If you look at the cost of calling someone out, it would be cheaper to
    > just buy a pump and replace the old one
    >
    > When you find the pump, tell us whether it has a valve on each side of
    > the pump - if so you can change it without draining down the system.
    >
    > When I say easy, it depends how easy it is to undo the connectors
    >
    > You can be sure that there is enough expertise in this group to lead
    > you through doing it (unless you listen to IMM, in which case it's
    > bound to leak)


    Thanks Geoff, I'll test the pump first thing and report back, gotta be worth
    a try!

    --
    Darren Griffin
    Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
    The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 7, 2004
    #8
  9. geoff wrote:
    > It certainly seems to be the first thing to look at
    >
    > If you are confident enough with electricity, you could try connecting
    > it up to the mains (via a plug with a 5A fuse in (unless you like big
    > bangs))
    >
    > If it blows the fuse, you've found your problem


    OK, firstly I now appear to have blown the PCB, tested last night without
    pump connected and all was OK, switched off, connected pump, switched on and
    there was a pop, noticed fuse on PCB had blown so replaced and even without
    pump conncted this time there was no light indicating Boiler ON, removed PCB
    and there is a small burn mark towards rear around two resistors, so I'll be
    needing a recon replacement from you for starters! (Baxi Part: 231711).

    As for the pump, disconnected, attached plug (with 5A fuse) and connected to
    mains, as soon as it is switched on the master trip in the CU activates
    although the 5A fuse does not blow! This obvioulsy suggests the pump has a
    problem but my electrical knowledge is not good enough to explain why the
    fuse remains intact. The good news is there are valves directly above and
    below the pump so a full system drain is not necessary.

    Would you agree that the pump appears to have been the culprit here? I'll
    source a new replacement, it's a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50 and hopefully
    this should be relatively simple to replace. As for the PCB, I'll contact
    you directly regards a replacement.

    --
    Darren
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 8, 2004
    #9
  10. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Set Square Guest

    In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld <> wrote:

    > geoff wrote:
    >> It certainly seems to be the first thing to look at
    >>
    >> If you are confident enough with electricity, you could try
    >> connecting it up to the mains (via a plug with a 5A fuse in (unless
    >> you like big bangs))
    >>
    >> If it blows the fuse, you've found your problem

    >
    > OK, firstly I now appear to have blown the PCB, tested last night
    > without pump connected and all was OK, switched off, connected pump,
    > switched on and there was a pop, noticed fuse on PCB had blown so
    > replaced and even without pump conncted this time there was no light
    > indicating Boiler ON, removed PCB and there is a small burn mark
    > towards rear around two resistors, so I'll be needing a recon
    > replacement from you for starters! (Baxi Part: 231711).
    >
    > As for the pump, disconnected, attached plug (with 5A fuse) and
    > connected to mains, as soon as it is switched on the master trip in
    > the CU activates although the 5A fuse does not blow! This obvioulsy
    > suggests the pump has a problem but my electrical knowledge is not
    > good enough to explain why the fuse remains intact. The good news is
    > there are valves directly above and below the pump so a full system
    > drain is not necessary.
    >
    > Would you agree that the pump appears to have been the culprit here?
    > I'll source a new replacement, it's a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50
    > and hopefully this should be relatively simple to replace. As for
    > the PCB, I'll contact you directly regards a replacement.


    Why, oh why didn't you follow the advice of testing the pump on its own
    FIRST? You'd have saved yourself the cost of the new PCB for the boiler!

    The pump almost certainly has a short between live and earth. The mains
    socket you plugged it into is probably protected by an earth leakage
    breaker - which tripped before the fuse blew. The central heating - along
    with freezers etc. - is probably on a circuit which doesn't have earth
    leakage protection - causing the fuse to blow instead when the pump was
    normally connected.

    You'll need a large spanner (or adjustable) to undo the nuts on the pump -
    and they might take a bit of shifting. It often helps to have an assistant
    to hang on to the pump while you tap the spanner round with a copper mallet.
    Make sure that you replace the (rubber or fibre) washers between the valve
    flanges and pump body - and try not to strain the surrounding pipework more
    than absolutely necessary - since this can induce leaks elsewhere.

    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square
    ______
    Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is Black Hole!
    Set Square, May 8, 2004
    #10
  11. Set Square wrote:
    > Why, oh why didn't you follow the advice of testing the pump on its
    > own FIRST? You'd have saved yourself the cost of the new PCB for the
    > boiler!
    >
    > The pump almost certainly has a short between live and earth. The
    > mains socket you plugged it into is probably protected by an earth
    > leakage breaker - which tripped before the fuse blew. The central
    > heating - along with freezers etc. - is probably on a circuit which
    > doesn't have earth leakage protection - causing the fuse to blow
    > instead when the pump was normally connected.
    >
    > You'll need a large spanner (or adjustable) to undo the nuts on the
    > pump - and they might take a bit of shifting. It often helps to have
    > an assistant to hang on to the pump while you tap the spanner round
    > with a copper mallet. Make sure that you replace the (rubber or
    > fibre) washers between the valve flanges and pump body - and try not
    > to strain the surrounding pipework more than absolutely necessary -
    > since this can induce leaks elsewhere.


    I know, it was stupid but in my defence I found a number of wires in the
    airing cupboard junction box were loose and could be pulled out easily so
    having tightened and checked those I foolishly thought I'd test in the vain
    hope that this may have fixed it, of course it didn't and a blown PCB is the
    price I'll have to pay for my idiocy!

    --
    Darren
    Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 8, 2004
    #11
  12. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    John Guest

    "Set Square" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld <> wrote:
    >
    > > geoff wrote:
    > >> It certainly seems to be the first thing to look at
    > >>
    > >> If you are confident enough with electricity, you could try
    > >> connecting it up to the mains (via a plug with a 5A fuse in (unless
    > >> you like big bangs))
    > >>
    > >> If it blows the fuse, you've found your problem

    > >
    > > OK, firstly I now appear to have blown the PCB, tested last night
    > > without pump connected and all was OK, switched off, connected pump,
    > > switched on and there was a pop, noticed fuse on PCB had blown so
    > > replaced and even without pump conncted this time there was no light
    > > indicating Boiler ON, removed PCB and there is a small burn mark
    > > towards rear around two resistors, so I'll be needing a recon
    > > replacement from you for starters! (Baxi Part: 231711).
    > >
    > > As for the pump, disconnected, attached plug (with 5A fuse) and
    > > connected to mains, as soon as it is switched on the master trip in
    > > the CU activates although the 5A fuse does not blow! This obvioulsy
    > > suggests the pump has a problem but my electrical knowledge is not
    > > good enough to explain why the fuse remains intact. The good news is
    > > there are valves directly above and below the pump so a full system
    > > drain is not necessary.
    > >
    > > Would you agree that the pump appears to have been the culprit here?
    > > I'll source a new replacement, it's a Grundfos Selectric UPS 15-50
    > > and hopefully this should be relatively simple to replace. As for
    > > the PCB, I'll contact you directly regards a replacement.

    >
    > Why, oh why didn't you follow the advice of testing the pump on its own
    > FIRST? You'd have saved yourself the cost of the new PCB for the boiler!
    >
    > The pump almost certainly has a short between live and earth. The mains
    > socket you plugged it into is probably protected by an earth leakage
    > breaker - which tripped before the fuse blew. The central heating - along
    > with freezers etc. - is probably on a circuit which doesn't have earth
    > leakage protection - causing the fuse to blow instead when the pump was
    > normally connected.
    >
    > You'll need a large spanner (or adjustable) to undo the nuts on the pump -
    > and they might take a bit of shifting. It often helps to have an assistant
    > to hang on to the pump while you tap the spanner round with a copper

    mallet.
    > Make sure that you replace the (rubber or fibre) washers between the valve
    > flanges and pump body - and try not to strain the surrounding pipework

    more
    > than absolutely necessary - since this can induce leaks elsewhere.
    >


    shut off the service valves and hope they don't leak through the spindle
    when you move them if they are more than a couple of years old. (Try to do
    the job when merchants are open to buy replacements if they do).
    Sometimes the nuts move easily but often they require a bit of tapping with
    a small hammer to break the crud seal which may have formed on the threads.
    With a bit of practice you can strike it on the "corners" to persuade it to
    undo. Ensure the new pump goes back in the same flow direction as per arrow
    on body and apply grease to the threads to facilitate future removal. Most
    pumps come with 2 new joint gaskets in the box but make sure the faces of
    the old unions are clean. Its sometimes easier to fit the wiring while the
    pump is loose and easy to work on. Refill and vent the pump through the
    spindle plug then away you go.
    John, May 8, 2004
    #12
  13. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld, May 9, 2004
    #13
  14. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Guest

    Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family operated company built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster the least intrusive as possible. We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan
    http://www.anytimerestorationservices.com
    , Jun 13, 2012
    #14
  15. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Rod Speed Guest

    Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    <> wrote

    > Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a
    > family operated company built on strong principles that
    > makes recovering from a disaster the least intrusive as possible.
    > We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan


    But is so stupid they cant work out what uk means. It doesn't mean under
    krap, stupid.
    Rod Speed, Jun 13, 2012
    #15
  16. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Gazz Guest

    Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    <> wrote the following shite:

    > Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family operated
    > company
    > built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster the least
    > intrusive as
    >possible. We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan


    Who the **** is this Warren Michigan, and why does he need 'specialized'
    repairing and cleaning so often?
    Gazz, Jun 13, 2012
    #16
  17. Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:37:46 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Serving those who need it most!


    Hi Warren,
    I think you're a little bit optimistic, don't you?
    The cost of transporting one of your vans via an Atlantic ship to the
    UK would be prohibitive and I doubt many people this side of the pond
    would be interested in supplying you with 110V AC.
    Nice try, no cigar.

    Have a nice day, now.

    Grimly.

    ps. if you really must be a clueless ****, do it out of sight.
    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 13, 2012
    #17
  18. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Davey Guest

    Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:55:36 +0100
    "Gazz" <> wrote:

    >
    > <> wrote the following shite:
    >
    > > Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family
    > > operated company
    > > built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster
    > > the least intrusive as
    > >possible. We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren
    > >Michigan

    >
    > Who the **** is this Warren Michigan, and why does he need
    > 'specialized' repairing and cleaning so often?
    >


    If you knew the Detroit area as well as I do, you would understand!
    --
    Davey.
    Davey, Jun 13, 2012
    #18
  19. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    I was going to say, the call out charge must be huge!

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________


    "Rod Speed" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > <> wrote
    >
    >> Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a
    >> family operated company built on strong principles that
    >> makes recovering from a disaster the least intrusive as possible.
    >> We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    >
    > But is so stupid they cant work out what uk means. It doesn't mean under
    > krap, stupid.
    Brian Gaff, Jun 13, 2012
    #19
  20. Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Re: Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    I think he must be related to Logan County and his friends.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....Note, this account does not accept Bcc: email.
    graphics are great, but the blind can't hear them
    Email:
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________


    "Gazz" <> wrote in message news:jr9rjt$328$...
    >
    > <> wrote the following shite:
    >
    >> Serving those who need it most! Anytime Restoration is a family operated
    >> company
    >> built on strong principles that makes recovering from a disaster the
    >> least intrusive as
    >>possible. We specialize in Storm Damage & Carpet Cleaning Warren Michigan

    >
    > Who the **** is this Warren Michigan, and why does he need 'specialized'
    > repairing and cleaning so often?
    Brian Gaff, Jun 13, 2012
    #20

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dave Burleigh

    Baxi Solo 2 PF 80 boiler won't fire up

    Dave Burleigh, Aug 10, 2003, in forum: UK DIY
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,964
    Roger Mills
    Aug 11, 2003
  2. Gill F

    Baxi Solo spare part source

    Gill F, Nov 17, 2003, in forum: UK DIY
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    362
    Brian S Gray
    Nov 23, 2003
  3. Philip Rayne

    Baxi Solo 2 50 PF

    Philip Rayne, Dec 18, 2003, in forum: UK DIY
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    6,065
    geoff
    Dec 26, 2003
  4. r.galvin

    Baxi Solo 3 PF Boiler ventilation

    r.galvin, Jan 1, 2004, in forum: UK DIY
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    481
    r.galvin
    Jan 1, 2004
  5. Mark
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    663
    Set Square
    Apr 6, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page