Aquatic Safe Paint for Metal

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a pond frame constructed out of aluminium (changed from PVC corner, as it wasn't up to the job), its fits well and is nicely riveted. But the time has come to paint it!

I didn't quite realise that this may be a problem at first, but most paints I had in mind aren't suitable for aquatic environments. As I'm going to be lifting this in and out of a pond with slate copings, there's bound to be some flaking at some point as the paint rubs against it - so I may be protecting the fish from herons but killing them with VOCs!

This spray paint seems to be fine for use near fish, however the primer and sealant are not:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/plasti-kote-metal-protekt-metal-protection-paint-matt-black-400ml/22150

I could try using it neat, but I'm not sure what the result would be on anodised aluminium.

Alternatively, I've seen some people have used rubberised paints to form a membrane - which would waterproof and protect it all in one. I assume it would also be pretty tough stuff and not likely to flake. However, I can't find anything in the UK that is suitable for use near fish (as there will be plenty of water run-off in to the pond).

Any thoughts on what I could use to protect the aluminium frame and paint it black? I'm sure there are other alternatives that I've not thought of :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to report back as I've got some of the rubber paint now (called "Rubberizeit"), I'm just waiting to finish an existing project then I'll be giving the paint a shot :). Will report back with pics!

Ask a Question